I
was watching TV and was flicking through the channels when I saw David Hockney
On Photography. Looking at this programme, I learnt many things; Hockney’s
photographic and artistic style. During the show, William Boyd’s comments on
Hockney’s style “he’s a painter who has taken a series of images with a camera,
and rearranged them on a flat surface.” Most of Hockney’s work are photographic
collages, that as a whole image depicts a photo of his subject, the way Hockney
sees it. Most of the photo collages are taken using a Polaroid camera. I
discovered during the programme that Hockney kept an archive of photos that he
had taken in photo albums. Hockney explores the idea of a photo in another
photo. An example of this is a photo of sunflowers and his own painted version
right next to it, this image is called Photography is dead, long live painting.
Also Hockney’s art does resemble the cubist art style. My
favourite piece of art work is of The Grand Canyon, that was based on the photo
collage taken in 1982. Hockney was in the exhibition commenting in this
particular piece of work by stating, “Immediately, I had finished it, I
actually went to The Grand Canyon, again and my immediate reaction was oh my
god everything is closer to you in real life here. That’s what the photography
has done, pushed it all back. I mean it’s un photographable actually … It’s a
spacial experience.” To produce this Hockney used 64 canvasesfrom 64 view
points
.
From this programme you get an essence of the kind of
character and deep theological thinker that Hockney is. When he produces his
work it’s very purposeful, that every image that he does has a story and
meaning to it. Sadly, Hockney did not continue with photography after the
programme was shot. On the whole, I found this programme very useful, and would
recommend it to everyone. It not only inspired me to take photos it made me
think about photography in a much broader way.
Bibliography
Documentary TV show
David Hockney On Photography, 2009, [TV documentary programme] Sky, Sky Arts 1 HD, 4th Feburary 2014
Images
www.artnet.com – accessed on 19/02/14
|
No comments:
Post a Comment